Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The End of Daycare

So, Thursday was Ben's last day in daycare. Any other mom would probably be jumping up and down that her son gets to stay home, but me, no. I love Ben's daycare, and he loves daycare. Since JR lost his job, we moved Ben from 5 to 3 days a week. Since he was collecting unemployment, we could fit the expense into our budget. JR is also the first person to tell you, he's not a teacher - he doesn't know what Ben is supposed to know at his age so he doesn't know what to teach him. So, it worked. Ben stayed home for two days to save money, and went to school three days to learn and socially thrive (Ben especially loves music day!). JR is no longer collecting, so we tried to have Ben in school two days a week, but now it's just too much of an expense on one income. We finally called it quits. JR loves staying at home with Aaron, and I think he is happy to have Ben home 5 days a week now too. He's talking about projects to do with Ben. I asked daycare for a progress report so we know where he's at, so JR is going to work off that. So, if anyone knows any great activities for a soon to be one year old and a soon to be three year old, let us know!

Besides having Ben miss out on music day, and class time and friends, I'm going to miss a couple of things too. My favorite part of my day, was when I picked Ben up from school. I'd buckle him into his car seat (99% of the time without him screaming about being in the seat because he knew he was going home to daddy and Aaron) then get a kiss from him. Just that moment right there would put a smile on my face so deep it would penetrate into the rest of my body. I don't know what it was about that one kiss, but it became something that I looked forward to every time I picked him up.

Another thing I loved doing with Ben after work, was go to the grocery store. Now in general, I don't like stopping at the store after work, especially with one (or both) of the kids. I'd rather run in and run out. But at Shoprite, the building has those invisible doors that blow air on you when you exit (sometimes the entrance one works). I'd stop in the middle of the doorway and let the air blow Ben's hair - he just thought it was the greatest thing! It really made me smile too, to see him smile. Just one of those silly moments that are free and fun!

Those times really won't end completely. I kiss Ben every time I strap him in the car seat. In fact, he gets upset if I don't! I'm sure stopping at Shop Rite with Ben won't end either. They were just always differently special somehow before. Now, I'll just have to find new special moments.

No comments: