Monday, March 31, 2008

Away for the Weekend

Isn't he "sweet"?

I won a basket during Basket Bidding at school the other night. It included a 5 pound Hershey bar, with graham crackers and marshmallows, of course! We brought the basket to Rob and Michele's for the weekend. Saturday night everyone (except Ben and I) went out and toasted marshmallows around a bonfire. The candy bar was so thick, it really didn't make the greatest smore, J.R. brought one in for me. I made a couple in the microwave on Sunday, and the chocolate became a little softer so it worked better. The rest of our weekend was just as sweet - it was fun to hang out with Rob and Michele. We haven't seen them for a while. Michele and I got to scrapbook a little bit, and J.R. and Rob killed a lot of bad guys (Halo 2). Chloe got to hang with Casey and Stella too - she had a blast.

We had a good weekend, but Ben had it a little rough. The poor little guy got his finger pinched in a door. I was in the other room when I heard Ben, and J.R. screaming. Even though there were five adults in the room when it happened, I feel incredibly guilty. I feel like I'm a bad parent. He's fine, by the way, just a bruise on his cuticle. I know he's going to get hurt - he'll fall and hit his head as he learns to walk, he'll skin his knee when he learns to ride a bike, he'll get pushed down, knocked over, and all the rest, but it still doesn't hurt me any less. I'm extremely thankful he didn't get hurt worse - I definitely gave thanks to God after the incident was over. I just can't help but feel I could have protected him. Will I always feel like this? Am I going to turn into the helicopter parent I speak against so often now? I guess I'll just take one day at a time and continue to pray he stays safe.

On an up note, Ben's giving high-fives now. He's also giving a lot of raspberries. He's really cute when he tucks his upper lip under his lower lip and puffs out his cheeks. He always did make the funniest faces. Oh - and he was quite the musician this weekend too.


No comments: