Friday, June 6, 2008

A Year Ago Today...

Ben's first birthday party is tomorrow! I can't believe a year has gone by. I'm totally in "what happened a year ago today" mode. Yesterday was the Thursday of the first week of Day One at school. The surealness of one year hit me hard. Last year on the Thursday of the first week of Day One, I left my office a little early because I had a doctor's appointment. So I waddled downstairs with the brand new yearbook camera so I could take some pictures of the new freshmen, and grab an ice cream. I figured I'd take the yearbook camera home then bring it back the next day. I never did take any pictures, just talked to a bunch of coworkers then said "see you tomorrow" as I left. Yeah, right. Let's just say the brand new yearbook camera was broken in over the summer by taking lots of pictures of Ben! Like this one...
It was a year ago today that I called my boss and told him I'd come in a little late because I wasn't feeling well. I had started having what I thought to be indigestion discomfort the night before and had slept in a chair. I wanted to take my time and thought I'd feel better after a shower. My boss told me "I don't know if you realize this or not, but you're having a baby in a couple of days." So, I stayed home. Later, the director of a daycare I was checking out told me I was having labor pains, as I was rubbing my hips. I was in denial for a while, but the second time she said it, I really started to think she could be right. I sent J.R. a text on my way home telling him I was in labor. I still have have his response saved on my phone, "Do you want me to come home?" I spent the rest of the weekend uncomfortable on the couch.


I hope Ben is feeling well for his party. I picked him up from daycare this afternoon because he threw up 4 times. The doctor said his throat is a little swollen; there is mucus in it that is keeping all his food from going down, and when he coughs, he throws up. Poor little guy. The 19 pound 15.8 ounce critter is walking like crazy though. The past three nights he's been on his feet more than on his knees. I just watched the video from my last post, and I can't believe how much better he is already. The video just looks so... I don't know, just old I guess. I'm almost wondering how I thought that was so great, because he's doing SO great now!

No comments: