Thursday, April 17, 2008

Storing Old Clothes



I read a survey question one day in my Parenting magazine...is it harder to give up my pre-baby clothes that don't fit anymore, or the baby's clothes that don't fit anymore. For me, it's definitely the baby's clothes! Anyone who knows my closet, knows I never get rid of my clothes. Unless it's too small, ripped, stained, or something else is wrong with it, I keep it. I don't shop for myself very often, but I get clothes as gifts for Christmas and birthdays. I'll get hand me downs from my mom too. But, I don't throw anything away. So my wardrobe gets bigger and bigger. I once had 42 sweaters! I'm getting better though. I gave 5 trash bags full of clothes to Salvation Army after Ben was born. I have another trash bag and a box ready to go now. So, little by little.....

However, now I'm finding I need to get rid of Ben's clothes. It's a little different though. He's outgrowing his clothes. He's getting bigger! He's growing up! Argh! He's barely worn some of these really cute outfits. It kills me to take these adorable outfits, that other than being too small, are in fine shape. I'm still trying to get him to wear onesies that are 3-6 months, even though he's probably ready for a few 12 month things. I need to snap out of it though. I need to think positively. If I get rid of his old cute stuff, I can bring in more of his new cute stuff. He definitely has some cute bigger clothes that are just waiting to be worn. The hat in the above picture came from going through his hat basket and picking out the small hats, including hats he's never worn, and seeing just what he has for bigger hats. He has a lot of hats, so I forgot he even had this one. When I saw it, I just had to take a picture of him with daddy wearing his similar hat. This weekend I'm going to be good. We're doing spring cleaning and one of the things on my list is to go through all Ben's clothes and pick out everything that is 3-6 months, and maybe even his plain 6 months stuff, and put them away. With the weather turning nice now, I may even be able to put away some of his heavier items.

I have come up with a couple of ways to preserve some of that cuteness. One - I'm taking lots of pictures. I'm trying to get a picture of him in every outfit - at least all the really cute ones. Sometimes I'll just sit him on the bed and take a picture of him before we leave for the day. Crazy, I know, but I'm sick I tell ya. Another way - scrapbooking! I'm writing down a description of most of his clothes. I'm noting the color scheme, the sayings, the cute animals. No...I'm not going to keep records of every piece of clothing he's ever worn. I'm going to use that list to inspire my layouts. Some of the prints on his jammies, for example, would be cute designs on pages. The colors used in the fabric can be joined as a pallet on a page. This way, I'll be able to keep all those outfits around, with actually having them around.

As for the actual clothing, it still is around, however, I'll save them for baby number two.

No comments: