Saturday, April 25, 2009

A baby story

So, to bed I went on April 21, just like every other pregnant night. I woke up April 22 just like every other pregnant morning. NOT! I woke up shortly before 4 AM with what I quickly realized was a contraction. As they continued to come, they were 10 minutes (some less) apart. At 5:10 AM I told J.R. to call his mom. I figured by the time she got up, showered, and drove 3 hours here, I'd be ready for the hospital. Contractions with Ben started much further apart, and my doctor told me this labor would be 1/2 of what Ben's was. I have another friend who recently had a baby and said her doctor said don't wait for 5 minute-apart contractions with baby #2. So, at less than 10 minutes apart at 5 AM, I had to be going soon, right?

Aaron was born at 10:06 PM. Sigh.

Here's the rest...

I thought daycare opened at 6:30 AM, so J.R. dropped off Ben early. I didn't know if I'd still be at home when my mom in law got here. J.R. got to daycare at 6:45 AM and the first teacher got there at 6:50 AM. She was happy to take Ben, even though they didn't open until 7:30 AM. My mom in law got here shortly before 8:30 AM, needless to say I was still at home. I continued to have contractions all day. I learned from my first time around, that when the birthing class teacher said walk - contractions will come faster, she was right, so I started walking around the house. Contractions got as close as 3 minutes apart, but I didn't feel like any progress was being made. I was exhausted, so I laid down for a little while. Contractions went back up to 6-8 minutes apart. It was a long, tiring, painful day, but finally at 8:00 PM I called the hospital. Without hesitation, the doctor told me to come in. We said goodbye to Ben and Grandma and made our way in. I guess we got there about 8:30 PM and it wasn't long after that when I was settled into a delivery room bed.


The big scare this time around was we lost Aaron's heartbeat and the resident doctor who delivered me said we might have to do an emergency C-section if it couldn't be found (he'd want to get the baby out asap if that was the case). I have to admit, I was in so much pain at the time, that I wouldn't have minded the C-section if the result would have been an immediate birth. As much as I wanted the baby to be OK, I wanted the pain gone! I also almost caved to an epidural. I had one contraction and I felt like it wasn't going to be long before I'd be ready to push. The doctor in charge told me NOT TO PUSH and it was too early and I should go a few more contractions before she'd check me. My immediate answer to her - "YOU KEEP SAYING THAT!" She had said it once before. I think she finally got the hint when I contracted again and said to J.R. that I was ready, and made comments about how I wanted it to be over. I also asked the nurse to explain the epidural process to me. Well, when the doctor checked me she whipped everyone into shape and exclaimed, "This baby is ready to come out! Everyone get ready, let's go". Can I say it? I TOLD YOU SO! It was four or five contractions later that Aaron Ronald, all 8 lbs, 13 oz and 22 inches of him was laying on my belly. (Oh my goodness he's a big one, they said. Yeah, I told you he was going to be but you didn't believe me on that either!) There was much relief, let me tell ya! J.R. was very excited to cut the cord - through tears he told me. He wasn't able to with Ben because Ben's cord was wrapped around his neck.

Big brother Ben came to visit us Thursday afternoon. He was very excited to give me flowers when he came in the room and was happy to see Mommy, Daddy and his new brother. With my help, he got to hold Aaron for some pictures, but immediately lost interest when Grandma gave him some cars. Ben can say Aaron's name, it sounds very cute.


We stayed at the hospital until Friday morning. Now we are home and settled in. Ben is doing well with Aaron, so far. Today I was feeding Aaron and Ben came up on the bed with us, looked at Aaron and said his name over and over again. He's enjoying Aaron's company. Hopefully this transition will continue to go well for him.

No comments: